Friday, November 19, 2010

Quickie Apple Dessert

Ever watch fresh fruit go slowly to waste before your eyes?   The whole family is blinded to it, it's been sitting there so long.   Apples, especially the ones we get out of enormous wood crates up in the Catskills, don't die so easily.
So here I was in the kitchen with my fabulous (first ever) microwave, distractedly leafing through Barbara Kafka's groundbreaking Microwave Cookbook.  I worked for Barbara as she was beginning the book, and barely anybody even had a microwave.  Imagine.  Funnily enough, a few days after I acquired the microwave, my local library had it in the dollar bin.  (score!).

The Crustless Apple Pie:  In minutes I cored and sliced 4 apples with one of those handy kitchen tools.  Typically I don't peel things when I cook, but do what you like.  I fanned them out on a plate, drizzled diced chestnuts preserved in liqueur (the label was not translated so the nature of the liqueur remains a puzzle), their juice, and some maple syrup.   Nuked it for 10 minutes, then served with homemade granola and yogurt.

Reading the recipe takes longer than preparing it.  Don't want to scare you off!

No comments:

Post a Comment